CHURCH ORATORY OF SANTA MARIA
The Church oratory of Santa Maria called “in selàa” could be the first center of religious workship in Tellaro. There are documented studies that date back this church to 1552, but the church could be much older.
The village developed during the fourteenth century and, according to some theories, an ancient religious building was located here, although for important sacred ceremonies, the inhabitants still had to go to Barbazzano, the ancient and native village on the hills, as it appears in the chronicles.
The Oratory, owned by the Genoese Senate, it was donated to the Confraternity of “Battuti di Santa Maria” in 1630.
Today deconsecrated, the oratory is owned by the Municipality of Lerici and is used for celebration of civil marriages: the location is so enchanted that people from all over the world come here to celebrate their wedding.
The Oratory and the square in front host numerous exhibitions and important painting and cultural events, such as the summer literary review Libi’n Selàa, which annually attracts nationally and internationally renowned writers.