LERICI CASTLE
Plan your visit

In the Middle Ages, Lerici was a free port with no fortifications. In 1241 the Pisans, after defeating the Genoeses during the Battle of Giglio…

THE PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT FRANCESCO

Completed in 1636, this is the second church dedicated to Saint Francis – the first one, built in the 14th Century…

THE ORATORY AND THE TOWER OF SAINT ROCCO

Built “extra moenia” in 1287, this baroque church was dedicated to St Martin and St Christopher…

PIAZZA MOTTINO AND THE MEDIEVAL VILLAGE

This little square was named after a family of men of letters, prelates and admirals in charge of the papal fleet…

CA’DORIA AND THE “CARPANETA” ROAD

The “Carpaneta” road starts from Piazza Garibaldi and goes up to the hills of Lerici…

THE CHURCH OF SAINT MARTHA

The church of Saint Marta is located in the heart of the “carobi”and it is easily reachable by entering the fortified gate in Piazza Mottino…

 SAN TERENZO CASTLE

Built around a 12th century guard-tower, this castle was built by the people of San Terenzo themselves, and they still are very proud of it…

VILLA MAGNI

This villa was property of the Ollandini family and in the spring of 1822 it was rented by Percy Shelley and his wife Mary…

CHURCH OF THE NATIVITY OF MARY

Its architectural structure dates back to 1619, but the church was built on a 13th Century place of worship…

THE SERENELLA

For thirty-seven years, the “Serenella” was the buen retiro of the local writer Paolo Mantegazza…

SIGHTING TOWER

The old, square sighting tower is still visible in the heart of the historical center, at the end of the fisrt part of a road called “via tra la Torre”…

THE CHURCH OF SAINT GEORGE

Built between 1564 and 1584, the church of Saint George was a fortification…

THE TALE OF THE OCTOPUS

The legend written on the marble plaque next to the church was created after several attempted incursions by pirates in the 17th century.

THE “SOTTO-RIA” GALLERY

The gallery is located along the parapet walk connecting a squared tower (demolished after the Second World War), the round tower of the Saint George church…

COMMUNAL WASHHOUSES

The water was gathered from the little canal below, then flowed from one basin to another and ended up into the sea…

CHURCH ORATORY OF SANTA MARIA ‘N SELA’A

The Church oratory of Santa Maria was the first center of religious workship in Tellaro…

MARINA GATE

Together with the square of Selàa (in front the ancient oratory), it has always been the place of aggregation and entertainment for the population…